THAME, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (AUGUST 11, 2018) (UK POOL) – Former foreign secretary Boris Johnson%20Johnson&redirect=yes"> refused on Saturday (August 11) to comment on his latest burqa remarks, for which he will be probed by his party.
Johnson will be investigated for a possible breach of the Conservative Party’s code of conduct after making comments about Muslim women who wear burqas, a party source said on Thursday (August 11). The source said a number of complaints had been received and would be considered by an independent panel.
Former British foreign secretary wrote in The Daily Telegraph this week that Denmark was wrong to ban the burqa, a head-to-toe cloak which conceals the face with a mesh or is worn in conjunction with the niqab – a face veil that leaves only the eyes exposed.
But Johnson, who resigned last month over the government’s Brexit plans, also said the robe was oppressive, ridiculous and made women look like letter boxes and bank robbers, prompting an outcry from other politicians and British Muslim groups.