South Kivu, DC (Reuters) – More bodies have been discovered from a Congo boat accident earlier in the week, bringing the total death toll to at least 40, the country’s interim minister told Reuters on Saturday. More than 100 people are still missing. Conway G. Gittens reports.
The death toll from a boating accident earlier this week on Lake Kivu in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo was raised Saturday to 40, according to that country’s interim interior minister.
27 more bodies were pulled after being discovered in waters in neighboring Rwanda.
The boat capsized Monday with nearly 200 people on board. Over 100 of those passengers are still missing.
Deadly boat accidents are common in Congo, which has few roads outside of major towns, forcing citizens to travel on boats that are often severely overloaded.
A regional minister of transport said in this case, the boat involved “was in a deplorable state.”